Why did free web hosting become so popular in the web hosting industry? The answer is relatively simple - it provides website builders a free opportunity to try their luck in the internet.
While free web hosting has limitations and fewer features compared to paid hosting, still, they are very popular to internet users.
However, out of the many free web hosting companies in the net today, only a few can be relied upon.
You may be one of luckiest if you find a free web hosting provider that will not require you to put advertisements on your site, use only limited bandwidth, and permit pointed domains.
The only thing you need to do is spend time and effort searching for these reliable free web hosts. Before you start signing up for free web hosting service, you better find out first its advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of Free Web Hosting:
1. Web hosts offer free online tools which you can use to create your webpage anytime you want.
2. Free web hosting providers are not hard to find. You just have to search online and you will come across with a free hosting provider that will give the services you need for your non-profit organization, business, or personal website.
3. You will easily find what a particular web host provides. This way, you’ll know right away if their features match your needs.
Your site’s existence on the World Wide Web will depend on your web host. Don’t just focus on the advantages; you should also throw light on the limitations of free web hosting.
1. Limited Bandwidth. On the net, it is also true that you get what you pay for. So when you avail of the services of a free web host, expect little bandwidth. And this means, it will take time for a page to load.
This is not advisable for business websites because the customers will just move on instead of waiting for your page to load.
2. Lack of freedom in using the URL Name you want. Free web hosting providers will require you to include their name in your URL.
This way, the web host can promote their services. Therefore, with a free web hosting plan, it is way impossible for you to have your own domain.
3. Web Capacity. A free web host will surely not give you the large web space you want. Don’t be surprised if you don’t receive the space you need to upload your page on the web, with all the information and content included in it.
So before signing up, ask your provider first if it will give you the space you need for your web page.
4. Advertisements and Pop-up Ads. Many free web hosting plans are “free” because the host will ask the user to post advertisements in his site. This is, of course, in addition to pop-up ads that usually come along with free web hosting plans.
Remember that not all your visitors like pop-ups and other forms of advertisements. So be careful enough in choosing your free web hosting provider. While it is technically free, free web hosting may cost you much in the long run because of its limitations.
Free hosting is good enough for a website start-up, but if you notice that your site or your business is gaining more traffic, and is getting popular, better switch to paid web hosting that can accommodate the growth of your site.